Sunday, August 23, 2009

Red Chili Tamale Casserole


This is a rather simple dish. Chili, in a casserole dish, topped with cornbread, and baked.

Now, I know my chili. I think I've been cooking chili longer than any other meal. Even before I learned to cook, I made chili. And I've been making vegetarian chili for several years.

So I know my vegetarian chili. In fact, I have some in the freezer right now.

But this chili...this is deceptively simple. Beans, vegetables, a couple of spices. But it is GOOD. I'd wager it's one of the best vegetarian chilis I've ever had. Better than at least half of the ones I've made (including the one in the freezer).

Now, on to the recipe...nope. Can't do it. I got this recipe from Cook for Good (an E-book that I paid for). If you want it, you'll have to buy the E-book. (Cook for Good Basics).

As usual, I adjusted the spices a tiny bit, and I used small red beans instead of kidney beans...that's pretty minor as far as changes go. Even my husband said "this chili is really good, did you follow the recipe?" (because he knows how I am...)

I also adjusted the cornbread topping ... (in the Cook for Good Spring e-book) because I realized last minute that I didn't have the yogurt that it called for.

And I added cheese on top.

This made 15 servings in my 9x13 pan. My child eats about 1/2 serving. I eat 1 serving. Spouse eats 1-2 servings. And boy, it's GOOD.

For the record, I am in no way affiliated with the Cook for Good website. I don't even remember how I found my way to it. But I love it and I *will* make the sweet raisin flatbread someday.

No comments: