Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fruity Cole Slaw


This year at the farm, it's been slim pickin's. This is our CSA. We've been members for 9 years. Last year they doubled the numbers of families they allowed to join. This year they cut the price. The price of that is that we get less produce. Also, we eat a lot of produce. I try to make a point to eat some veggies for lunch and dinner, and at least two pieces of fruit per day.

When you do the math for the number of servings, multiply by 2.5 people, you are looking at about 30-35 lbs of produce a week. Now, the CSA provides 10-15 lbs. So I have to liberally supplement with farmer's market, produce stand, and wholesale produce store.

This week, no lettuce! (2 lbs of tomatoes though) So I bought cabbage. And coleslaw mix. I'd had a really good Hawaiian kind of cole slaw at a picnic not too long ago (mango!) This isn't Hawaiian, and I made too much dressing, but hey, it softened the cabbage up nicely.


Fruity Cole Slaw
1-lb bag cole slaw mix: $1.39
1/4 of a 20-oz can of diced pineapple, each chunk diced into four pieces: 0.20
1/2 cup raisins: 0.38
2 scallions, sliced: 0.20
cashews to crumble on top

dressing (this was a little too much, maybe cut back on the juice)
1/4 cup pineapple juice from the can: free! included in the cost of the pineapple
2 T canola oil: 0.07
2 T rice vinegar: 0.16
salt and pepper to taste


Total: $2.40 for about 10 cups before it all squishes down from the dressing. $0.24 per cup.
On another note, my mom is totally cracking up. Growing up, I hated tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and cole slaw. And now I'm eating them like crazy.

1 comment:

Stephanie Griffith said...

Yum! My grandma used to make something like this. I'm going to give it a try.