Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pasta Ponza

No picture today. I forgot. Mostly because I was half way through making it when I got a request to go back to work. So I cooked it, ate it in 5 min (I *will* have meal where I sit and eat it leisurely. I will. But maybe not today, as we're painting the living room and I ate sitting down in my son's room and standing up in the kitchen).

This comes courtesy of Giada on the Food Network. I randomly taped a show, and she made this meal, then on Thursday we got a pint of yellow cherry tomatoes at our CSA. So I picked some more cherry tomatoes from our plant "the cherry tomato plant that ate Manhattan", some parsley, and voila!

First, I used 1/2 to 2/3 lb pasta. So mine was a little soggy. Still tasty.

Second, I added garlic, why not?

Third, I used homemade breadcrumbs with basil and oregano mixed it. It was quite good. Rest went into the freezer. I have been the queen of cooking ahead and freezing leftovers for later. Workdays have been really long, so dinner cooking has been minimized.

Pasta Ponza
butter for greasing
2/3 lb pasta: 0.74
1 pt. yellow cherry tomatoes: 3.00
1 pt. red cherry tomatoes: $0 (from my garden)
handful of fresh parsley: $0
2 cloves garlic: 0.10
2 T. capers, rinsed and drained: 0.25
2 T. olive oil: 0.22
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese: 0.38
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs: $0 (I use leftover heels of bread)
1/4 tsp each of oregano and basil: 0.05

Total: $4.74 for 6 servings, or $0.79 each.

See the link above for directions. Basically, you roast the tomatoes and breadcrumbs,l cook the pasta and toss together with cheese...

No comments: