Monday, July 23, 2012

Potatoes and Fennel

I'm going to fess up: I don't like fennel.  I've never really liked it.  My family feels even more strongly than I do about it.  But the last 2 weeks at the CSA, we've gotten 3 bulbs of fennel.  And the only thing in the trade basket?  More fennel.

So I brought it home.  This week we also got 1 lb of new potatoes (yellow and purple).  We also got an email on how to make great fennel.  And an email on what to do with purslane.  Which is still in the fridge, staring at me when I open the door.  I think the answer to that may be: put into compost.

Anyway, I mixed together the fennel recipe with my roasted onion and potatoes, then threw in some chard because...I never know what to do with chard.  It was delicious!

Roasted potatoes, fennel and onion with steamed chard:
1 lb potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 bulbs fennel, sliced 1/8 inch thick and heart removed
1/2 onion, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, sliced
one sprig rosemary, chopped
salt, pepper, olive oil

1 bunch steamed chard
3-4 Tbsp grated parmesan

Prepare the vegetables, garlic, and rosemary and put in a parchment lined pan (if you hate cleaning) and toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Roast at 400F for 30-40 minutes, or until they look right to you, stirring at least once.  Mine looked like this half way through:

Meanwhile, steam the chard, cool it, and chop fine.  When the roasted vegetables are done, stir in the chard and toss with parmesan cheese.

If you forget the garlic and rosemary, like I did, you can add it half way through the cooking time.

3 comments:

Biz said...

I've never been a fan of fennel either - that and kohlrabi, which was a prevelent veggie I got week after week when I did a CSA - I tried every which way to like kohlrabi, but to no avail.

Glad you found a way to use it up!

Marcia said...

Now, I do LOVE kohlrabi!

Joanne said...

I'm not a huge fennel fan either, but I can deal with it roasted! Raw is a total no-go.