Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Banana bread muffins

I love banana bread.  I have worked on perfecting a healthy banana bread.  I like it, my husband likes it, my kid - not so much.

I buy bananas every week, and then at least one or two end up mushy and in the freezer.  But then the next thing you know, you have 15 bananas in the freezer.  I wish I were exaggerating.  I decided to look for a new muffin recipe that maybe my kid would like, and I found this recipe.

So, when I adjust recipes to healthify them, I do a few things:
1.  cut the sugar
2.  substitute some whole wheat flour for regular
3.  cut the fat by subbing applesauce

On this recipe, I decided to only cut the sugar in the main recipe from 3/4 c to 1/3 c.  I mean, really, the recipe says that it makes 10 muffins.  I got 12.  But 3/4 c sugar is 12 Tbsp (not even counting the streusel topping), so that's 1 Tbsp sugar per muffin, which is a lot.  And bananas are sweet.

In any event, these were awesome.  I have to say that using the full amount of butter and using all regular flour made them moist and fluffy compared to my usual muffins.  Maybe next time I'll try a teeny bit of whole wheat flour.  I also added 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips.  And the topping - I didn't pack my brown sugar, just loosely scooped.

Now if I could only get rid of the fruit flies that seem to love my bananas.

5 comments:

Biz said...

I thought I was the only one who had 15 frozen bananas in their fridge!

I agree, sometimes you have to go with the real butter/flour - life is too short not to have a great banana muffin! :D

Unknown said...

This looks like a delicious healthy recipe! Who would have known that peanut butter chips and banana would be incredible!!!!! Love the idea!
-Nurse Frugal

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeous meal! so hearty and wonderful! yum!

Joanne said...

I am SO not a banana person so I tend to not buy them...but the downside of that is I never have any brown ones for banana bread! These muffins look great....I'll have to stock up and make them!

Dr Know said...
This comment has been removed by the author.