Sunday, January 31, 2010

Apple Waldorf Salad

I found this recipe here while perusing the blogs one day. I love apples. And it's still the season where you can get them at the farmer's market without them being mealy. On top of buying my 3 lbs at the farmer's market, we've been getting 1.5 lbs from the CSA. So, we are full of apples right now.

I grew up on Waldorf Salad. What I liked about my mom's was the dates. That made it special. I've never been much of a fan of the grapes or the celery. Maybe the watery-ness? So, because I didn't have them, I left them out.

This is tasty, and it's really interesting how chia seeds really make a gel when they soak. I'm pretty new to the whole chia phenomenon.

Apple Waldorf Salad (adapted from Foods for Long Life).
3 small apples, diced (unpeeled): 1.33 (I only eat organic apples)
5 dates, diced: 0.15
1/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries: 0.50
1/4 cup walnuts: 0.31

2 tsp chia seeds: 0.13
1/4 cup water
juice of 1/2 lemon: 0.15
1 Tbsp apple juice or cider: 0.05
1 Tbsp honey: 0.19

Total: $2.81 for 4 generous servings, or 6 smaller ones. $0.70 or less per serving.

Now, I didn't read the recipe properly before starting, so I'd already chopped the apples when I realized that I was supposed to soak the chia seeds for a few hours first.

So I tossed the apples and fruit with apple juice and lemon juice and put it in the fridge, so the apples wouldn't brown, and then made the chia gel. I added the honey to the gel and then stirred it in with the apples later. It worked just fine.

You can read all about the benefits of chia seeds here.

No comments: