Sunday, May 24, 2009

Roasted Leek Dip


So, we got three large leeks from the farm this week. I still have some roasted potato leek soup from last week, but I really didn't feel like more of that.

My mom mentioned on the phone that some neighbor has a friend who makes "really good leek dip" (not that she's ever had it). So I started thinking, how about roasted leek dip?

I searched the web for leek dip recipes. Found one that called for fresh leeks (and not "powdered leek soup mix"). But it also called for a bottle of "creamy salad dressing", and I generally don't go there.

Then I remembered the spinach artichoke dip that I like from Alton Brown. I figured I could adjust it for roasted leeks.

This was really tasty and...tasted EXACTLY like the dip you grew up on (well, I did), that was basically Lipton onion soup mix and a cream base. Gee, kinda glad I put in all that effort (but hey, I know what's in it!!)

Roasted Leek Dip
3 large leeks: $2.00
8 oz cream cheese: 1.00
1/4 tsp garlic powder: 0.02
1/4 c. mayo (eyeball it): 0.17
1/4 c. sour cream (eyeball it): 0.19
1 T canola oil: 0.04
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes: 0.02
1/4 c. grated parmesan: 0.37
Total: $3.81 for about 2 cups.

Preheat oven to 400F. Slice white and light green parts of leeks. Dunk in bowl of water to get out grit. Put in a paper towel and dry. Put in rimmed sheet with oil, S&P. Roast for 20 to 25 min, stirring once. Some of the leeks will get crispy.

Let cook. Puree in food processor with remaining ingredients. Serve with crackers, warmed.

It's a little thick. I might thin it later.

No comments: