Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pinto Bean Burgers


Again with the "what to cook this weekend". I have about 2/3 of a 10-lb bag of pinto beans. I've done soup. I've done enchiladas. I've done refried beans. I wish I could find 10-lb bags of garbanzos. I could eat those beans every day.

I found a pinto bean burger recipe. This was supposed to be Saturday night's dinner, but we went to a friend's instead. So I added it to the risotto night.

Again, a lot of adjustments. I made it vegan (well, except for the slices with cheese). I also could not find corn for the life of me. I looked in the freezer 3 times! Hubby gave them the thumbs up.

Pinto bean burgers:
4 c. cooked pinto beans: 0.44
1 bu chard, steamed 5 min and pureed in food processor: 0.25? from the garden
2-T T. chopped green chiles (we froze these last summer): 0.25
garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin: 0.10
1/2 c. diced onion, sauteed until soft: 0.10
1 c. bread crumbs: free (from heels of old bread)
1/4 c. wheat germ: 0.25
2 T. canola oil: 0.08
Total: 1.37 for 9 burgers, or 0.15 each

Chop chard in food processor. Add sauteed onions and chiles. Chop. Add all but one cup of pintos. Chop.

Add these ingredients to whole pintos in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, bread crumbs, and wheat germ.

Put in fridge until ready to use. Form into patties, fry in a little oil on each side for a few min.

We had them on toast. I used salsa, arugula, and a little mayo. Dh used mustard.

3 comments:

Amy B said...

Wow! I really thought these were hamburgers when I saw the picture.
These sound great and SO CHEAP! I'm going to make them soon.Thanks for the recipe.

Jessica said...

nice! pinto beans are delish!

Amy B said...

I made this tonight, but novice cook that I am, I failed to rinse the chard enough and my burgers had a special "grit." I will make them again, but next time I will rinse the chard twice!