Monday, May 25, 2009

Pesto Pasta


I remember the days when, trying to control portion sizes, I would make 1/2 lb of pasta. That's four servings, two for dinner, two for lunch the next day.

With a kid and a job, those days are gone. I make the full pound, and it lasts us four full meals now.

Today's pasta had spinach/arugula/parsley pesto (made with one clove fresh garlic and three roasted...the fresh one was POTENT), sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and some diced ham from the freezer. Toddler loves it "green sketti!" We topped it off with a big salad with avocado, radishes, carrots, olives.

2 comments:

Amy B said...

Pasta portion size is very difficult, especially when you live alone. That and cold cereal. Guess the only easy way to control portions is if you live in the wild, like a hunter/ gatherer. I'd be too lazy to gather enough wheat to make too much spaghetti! :)

Marcia said...

Yep, living alone is tough. I ate out all the time when I lived alone (when I think of the wasted money). Then I joined my husband and matched him bite-for-bite, which only helped my weight creep up and up.

Now I use a small cereal bowl for my spaghetti. Usually 1 to 1.5 cups total.