Saturday, May 23, 2009

Potato and Pinto Bean Enchiladas

I don't know possessed me to google this. Or even how I found the recipe. But since I have part of a 10# bag of pinto beans, and a few pounds left of the 10# bag of potatoes, it seemed like a good recipe. As often has happened in the past, allrecipes.com didn't let me down (everyone has their favorite recipe site...that's one of mine). I found this recipe, and of course tweaked it a bit.

I added chard, because we had it from the farm, and I don't really know what to do with chard, except for put it in stuff. I have some really good kale recipes though. Chard's a little different.

I also didn't make my own tomatillo salsa. I had a jar in the pantry. I tend to stock up on salsa with coupons and sales. It was actually my last jar of salsa. It was probably a little too spicy for my 3 year old, so I made two trays...a small tray with the dregs of some red mild salsa. And I subbed cheddar for the salsa fresca.

These were very very good. I really wanted to have two. But I am noticing a little extra around the middle, and this weight isn't going to go away on its own.

We had these with guacamole. I love avocados, been craving them for weeks. Haven't made it to the farmer's market. I haven't had the best luck with buying them elsewhere at stores, and it makes not a lot of sense to buy chilean avos when you live in So. Cal. I have two favorite vendors at the market, so ended up with five avos instead of two. My friend Tessa (who I used to know from the CSA) sold me two large avos with a high oil content...man, they are so buttery and delicious, I used my finger on the bowl. I mean, given the choice between a second enchilada and some guacamole...the green stuff is going to win every time.



Potato and Pinto Bean Enchiladas
1 bunch chard: 1.00
1 cup dry pinto beans: 0.29
1 lb potatoes: 0.39
1 tsp each salt, cumin, chili powder: 0.25
1 T. canola oil: 0.04
1 T. ketchup: 0.05
11 flour tortillas (because that's how much filling I ended up with): 1.43
12 oz salsa: 0.75
1 cup shredded cheddar (about 4 oz): 0.75
1 T canola oil: 0.04 (a different tbsp)
Total: $4.99 for 11 enchiladas, or $0.45 each

1. Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Cook (I use the pressure cooker, and I cooked a double batch...will freeze the rest).

2. Steam chard for about 5 min. Cool. Squeeze dry. Chop in food processor.

3. Peel and dice the potatoes into about 1/2 inch dice. Toss potatoes with ketchup, cumin, salt, and chili powder. Place on greased cookie sheet and roast at 400F for 20-25 min, stirring once.

4. Mix beans (2 cups), and potatoes in a large bowl. Stir in chard.

5. Microwave the tortillas to soften.

6. Grease a 9x13 pan (though I needed an extra small pan). Fill each tortilla along the length of it, about 1/3 of the way from the end. Roll tightly, place seam-side down in pan.

7. When pans are filled and filling is gone, spoon the salsa over the top (or enchilada sauce, if you've got it. Pre-kid, I used to make my own. It's good stuff. Time consuming, but good stuff). Top with cheese.

8. Bake for about 20-25 mins at 350F.

9. Try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting.

No comments: