Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rosemary Olive No Knead Bread

This recipe originally comes from Cook's Illustrated and I love it.  It's so easy.  But you have to remember to mix the dough up a day before you are going to bake it, that's the only problem.  I also experimented a lot with my pot and my oven and have adjusted the baking temperatures and times to work for me.



Rosemary Olive No Knead Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp yeast
1.5 tsp salt
7 ounces water
3 ounces beer
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 chopped green and kalamata olives

Mix the flours, parmesan, rosemary, yeast and salt in a big bowl.

Add the water, beer, vinegar and olives.
Mix with a spatula until flour is incorporated.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap overnight.

On a floured surface, with floured or oiled hands, knead the dough (it will be sticky), 15 to 20 times.

Place the dough on a piece of oiled parchment in a large bowl, plate, or skillet.  Spray with cooking spray and cover with plastic.

Let rise for a few hours.  I think mine rose for about 4 hours.  You can do less.

30 min before baking, preheat oven to 450F and place a dutch oven or large casserole dish with lid in the oven to preheat. 
Flour the surface of the dough and slice down the middle with a sharp knife.  When ready to bake, carefully remove pot from oven, and slide the bread and parchment into the pot.  Cover.  Reduce heat to 425F and bake 30 min.

Remove lid, reduce heat to 415F and bake another 20-30 min.

Those are the temps that I use for my covered casserole dish, but I found that I might need hotter temperatures for my dutch oven, which I used this time.  It took longer (30 min) uncovered than usual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh do send some of this over stat!

Joanne said...

I love the infusion of rosemary into bread...this sounds and looks delicious!