Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Baked Chicken Legs and Salad


These days, Tuesdays are tough to plan for.  We've run out of last week's CSA veggies and don't know what we're getting this Tuesday.  So today, I planned for chicken and "side".  We ended up with mixed greens and some arugula, so the side was clear.  It was also pretty easy to make a salad (washing the greens first).  Today we rode our bikes to work (10 miles).  I ride to work, spouse rides home (more on this at a later post).  Our bikes ride on the back of the car the other direction.

I buy organic free range chicken legs for $1.99 /lb at Trader Joe's.


Baked Chicken Legs:
6 chicken legs; $4.04
1 T olive oil: 0.04
juice and zest of 1 lemon: free (thank you neighbor)
2 cloves garlic, pressed: 0.10
herbs: thyme, savory, marjoram, oregano: 0.25
S&P to taste
Total: $4.43 or $0.74 per serving.

Preheat oven to 375F.  Toss the chicken legs with the remaining ingredients.  Place skin side down in a pan.  Cover with foil and bake 30 min.

Remove foil, flip legs over.  Bake 30 more min or until done.  I used a glass pan, so my legs didn't really get crispy this time and I ended up cooking them after the foil at a higher temp - 425F.  There are lots of ways to make these things (combo of temp/time), and you just gotta figure out what you like.  If I try to use my oven on chicken at 450F, it sets off the smoke alarm.  So that's my limit.

Anyway, with an hour bake time, dinner was later that I'd like.  Oh well.

No comments: