Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tri tip





Tri-tip is a bit of a local phenomenon. BBQ'd tri tip is very famous here in Santa Barbara county. Alas, we don't have a grill. However, it's a roast, so it can be done in the oven.

I purchased the tri-tip on sale for $2.99/lb. It's on sale right now at 1.99/lb (this is really good). I would go out and buy some...but we really don't eat beef all that often. The beef we are eating now, I purchased in April.

The roast was a little less than three pounds at $8.34. It will provide about eight servings. (I'm guesstimating). That comes out to about $1.04 per serving. Certainly a little on the high side for us, but tasty.

I served this with guacamole and chips and roasted kale. Tips on the chips: it is almost always cheaper to buy tortilla chips in 2lb bags. But they go stale faster than we can eat them. Tip #1: put into a ziploc bag. Tip #2, because they will still go stale...bake at 300F in a toaster oven for about 5 min.

We marinated the tri-tip using this recipe (scroll down, it's the marinade #1):


and roasted in the oven at 425F for 45 min, until the meat thermometer read 150F. Let rest, covered with foil, for 15 min. Slice. The larger areas were pink (not my fave, but most likely "correctly done"), but the ends were perfect for me.
...and it's strawberry season! 6 pints for $6.

No comments: