Monday, June 2, 2008

Enchiladas


I made Chicken Enchiladas with some of the leftover chicken from the roasted chickens. Some of the chicken went into sandwiches for lunch, the rest is in the freezer for later use.

I used this enchilada sauce:


with the following changes:

1. Double the recipe
2. Use chicken stock instead of water.
3. Use 1/4 of a fresh onion in place of dried.
4. Add about 1 T pureed chipotle in adobo. Before I added this, the sauce tasted tomato-y, and not really smoky/saucy. I puree a can, put in a freezer tray, and pop into a ziploc bag. I used 1/2 of a "cube".
5. Use tomato paste or puree instead of sauce, and basically just add it until it looks right.
6. Cook 30-40 min until the correct thickness.
7. Puree using an immersion blender.


Red Enchilada Sauce
1/4 fresh onion: 0.25
chicken stock (free, homemade)
spices: 0.25
garlic: 0.20
chipotle: 0.10
tomato paste: 0.50
salsa: 0.50
total: $1.80, makes about enough for three 9x13 pans of enchiladas



Chicken Enchiladas
Roasted chicken: 0.52
1 onion: 0.75
1/2 lb diced zucchini: 0.50
1/2 lb corn, cooked: 0.16
8 whole wheat tortillas: 1.00
1/2 lb dried black beans, cooked: 0.32
1 serving enchilada sauce: 0.60
6 oz shredded cheddar: 1.09

Total: $4.94 per tray, makes about 7-8 servings.

I made two trays and gave the other to my neighbor who had a baby a couple of months ago. I sauteed the zucchini and onion until soft, mixed in corn, beans, and chicken, and rolled into the tortillas.

No comments: