Saturday, June 16, 2012

Menu Plan and The Week in Pictures

My menu plans have been a bit free-form lately, based on my own energy level and what we happen to have in the fridge.  The CSA pickings have been heavier on the fruit, thus lighter on vegetables.  So I have to shop more on the weekends to round out the vegetables.  I haven't been sleeping much at all - it's now pretty uncomfortable to even FALL asleep, much less STAY asleep.  That affects my ability to cook and plan.

On the other hand, my son is in summer kids' care.  Our neighbor's daughter is not, so I have the option to stop at the store on the way home.  His summer program is at a different school, and Lazy Acres, Albertson's, and Mesa Produce are on the short 2 mile trip home.

This week's meals were:
Sunday: burgers at a friend's birthday party.  I made potato salad. Man, half the potatoes were perfect,  half were hard as a rock.  I can't figure that out.  Must be mommy brain.  I'm usually the potato salad master. I also made vegan paleo chocolate chip cookies (using maple syrup instead of the honey and upping the vanilla).  These were great and went really fast.

Monday: carrot and turnip ginger soup, and TJ's frozen breaded chicken
Tuesday: skillet pasta with zucchini, broccoli on the side
Wednesday: stopped at the store, so we had chicken, bean, and vegetable burritos and roasted cauliflower (this stuff is the bomb).  We used to make burritos all the time.  I'm not sure why they have fallen out of favor.  Not enough time to cook beans?  I bought a can.



Thursday: leftover pasta and the last of the soup
Friday: leftover burritos and salad

Tonight I'll be making pizza, and tomorrow is dinner at a friend's.  She wants to have me over before the baby comes.  We were going to do next Saturday.  But I think time-wise, that's pushing it.  I have 3 weeks to go, but my son was 2 weeks early.

Next week's meal plan:  I haven't made it yet, but we've got kohlrabi, zucchini, lettuce, chard, onions, lemons.  I'm thinking some sort of chard egg dish for sure.  I definitely will have to hit the grocery or farmer's market for more produce.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

One of my gym instructors is super pregnant and the other day we had a whole discussion about sleeping positions while pregnant...it sounds thoroughly unpleasant. I hope you get some rest!

Marcia said...

It is amazingly unpleasant! Most days I end up on the couch. Only a few more weeks to go!

Biz said...

You are in the home stretch! Love that you are still meal planning too.

Thanks for all the car tips!!