Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vegan Thai Night

So, I pulled out a cookbook off the shelf yesterday and got inspired.  The cookbook was Nava Atlas' Vegan Express.  I've been meaning to try a couple of recipes from the book.  There are only a few photos in the book, but two of them were for Thai coconut corn soup and Thai pineapple fried rice.  They are supposed to be quick and easy, and I'm all about that these days.  And it's nice that I can find the recipes online so I can link them for you.

Another bonus: they use a lot of the same ingredients: red peppers, scallions, curry powder feature in both recipes.

The soup is touted as being amazingly simple and amazingly good.  And it did not disappoint.  Delicious!  I picked out the red peppers for the kiddo, and he enjoyed it immensely.  The only thing I would change next time is to use my dutch oven.  The soup pot I chose was too small and it boiled over and made a mess.  Good thing tomorrow is cleaning lady day.


The fried rice was a little bit bland.  Next time I'd add more curry powder, more ginger, and more soy sauce.  I topped mine with sriracha, of course.  I also made mine with white rice instead of brown.  My brown rice was buggy.  I'm not sure why.  The little bit of brown rice still in the original bag was fine (ziploc seal), but the rice in the canister with the sealed rubber lid was not.  Huh.

My only problem with the rice is that my new nonstick 12" pan is simply not big enough.  I might have to get a wok someday.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I've had this cookbook for forever but have not cooked a single thing out of it! You've inspired me to crack it open because these dishes look so good!

Biz said...

I used to have the same problem with my rice, so I keep rice in large mason jars and no more bugs!

I love anything Thai - I'll have to give these a go - Happy Monday!