Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sweet Potato Appetizers

So, I had some leftover sweet potatoes from Trader Joe's.  Come to think of it, I have a few still, but they expired yesterday.  Should compost those.  We were headed to our friends and neighbors' house for NYE, so I googled "Sweet potato appetizer".  And I found this recipe.  I already had a package of crescent rolls and was about to head out for my walk to the farmer's market and trip to the grocery store.  So I picked up some more crescents at Trader Joe's.

I liberally adjusted this recipe because I only had about 40 minutes, a few items, and I was tired.  Had a SPLITTING headache most of the day, and napped to recover.

Sweet potato appetizers: (makes 16)
1-2 cups diced sweet potato
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
sharp cheddar cheese
2 packages cresent rolls
Saute the onion in olive oil a few minutes until softening.  Add the diced sweet potato (I diced this very fine, 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch pieces).  I cooked this about 10 minutes on low-medium, covered, then increased the heat to brown the pieces a bit.  Salt and pepper to taste.
When the filling is ready, open the crescent packages.  Break into 4 pieces.  Press the diagonal seams so that you have 4 rectangles.  Cut each in half crosswise and press out to 4 inch square.  Spoon filling into each square.  Place a thin slice of cheddar on top.  Fold up the corners and twist into a little "purse".
Bake about 15 min at 350F.  Enjoy!

No comments: