Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chicken and Rice

I was originally going to make chicken fried rice.  But I didn't have the energy to make the rice ahead of time (and it's much better if you do).  And I also didn't feel like dirtying another dish.

So I made the chicken and rice all in the rice cooker.  And except for the fact that I added the peas too soon (and they got gray), it was very good.

Chicken and Rice in the Rice cooker:
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1/3 to 1/2 cup leftover pan juices from roasting the chickens (see note below)
1 cup frozen peas
2 large carrots, chopped
1 chicken breast, chopped
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce

Note: The Fine Cooking recipe for citrus roasted chicken recommended saving the pan juices to use as flavoring later.  I saved about a cup of it.  1/3 was chicken fat that solidified in the fridge.  I skimmed off most of the fat, leaving about 1-2 Tbsp.  I put that and the rest of the pan juices that had also solidified into the rice cooker.

Into the rice cooker: brown rice, water, pan juices.  Press go.

About 15 minutes before it should be done (45 min later), add diced chicken and carrots and stir.  I also added the peas, but I'd recommend adding them even later.  When the rice cooker is done, stir well and eat!

Top with a little soy sauce.

No comments: