Monday, September 6, 2010

Red Bean Gumbo


I got this new cookbook for my birthday from my mother in law. Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I've had some difficulty choosing vegetarian cookbooks. Everyone has their own favorites, and I was tempted by this one and by Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

Anyway, I finally got to try a recipe from it. I chose the recipe because I was rummaging through the pantry and found a bunch of red beans that I'd forgotten about. I searched through the cookbook and found the gumbo recipe. The only thing that I didn't have was bell peppers. Now, I hate to shop for things *just* for a specific recipe. I am impressed by broke foodie's ability to shop only once every three months (I'd love to shop less, but for me, that would mean once/week, not once every three months). I figured that bell peppers aren't too terrible.

In any event, this recipe was delicious! A little heavy on the prep - cook the greens, soak and cook the beans, make the roux, add the veggies...but it made a huge pot and was very tasty.

And since it's a soup, with beans and vegetables, it is very budget friendly.

I served this with herb roasted potatoes. We ate them so fast that there was no time to take a picture.

1 comment:

looloolooweez said...

This does look good. The great thing about gumbo is that it freezes well and it often tastes even better after being in the freezer. I bet this would be good over brown rice.