Sunday, September 12, 2010

Breakfast


So, here I am on Sunday morning. My hubby's not playing tennis today, so it would be the perfect opportunity for yoga. But not today. Today, I am supporting my friends.

Little tidbit about me: I have done 3 Breast Cancer 3-day walks. 2001, 2003, 2005. That last one, I was pregnant, so I only walked about 51 of the 60 miles. Nowadays, you have two long-distance choices: the Avon 2-day walk and the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk.

The Avon, ironically, is here this weekend. They walked past our house (which is rare, but I guess when you are walking 26.2 miles, you have to weave in and out all over town). I wasn't here but we put up balloons, my husband and son cheered them on, and they let one lady use our bathroom. My hubby knows, especially from the one where I was pregnant, how important bathroom stops are.

The group of people that I did the 3-days with continues to ebb and flow, and walk. Mary Anne is our leader, and has walked one walk every year since the start in 1998. They are walking in San Francisco this year, and this is the big back-to-back weekend. They are walking 18-20 miles Saturday AND Sunday, to get used to that before the big weekend.

So today, as I've done before, I am meeting them at their big beach turnaround, with snacks and drinks. I made raisin bread in the bread machine. I have electrolyte water, cheese sticks, and I'll probably pick up some gatorade on the way. We've got the balloons from yesterday.

So where does breakfast come in here? Well, there's a nice restaurant at the beach. I was thinking that it would be nice to go early, eat, then cheer them on. I looked up the menu, and some reviews. The reviews said that it wasn't good for children (though I figured breakfast would be okay). And it's pricey. But I do like a good breakfast.

As I looked at the average price ($12.95) and the cost of a breakfast burrito ($8.95), I got to thinking. That breakfast would cost us about $36-37 for the three of us. My husband was still asleep (he's been working late and on weekends). My son was watching TV (the only way I could get him to let my husband sleep). So I started cooking.

Even with the local, organic, free range eggs from the farmer's market ($4.50/dozen), the Niman Ranch bacon ($4.49 for 12 slices), etc., I managed to make breakfast for three for under 5 bucks.

Breakfast burritos:
1 lb organic potatoes: 1.00
1 Tbsp canola oil: 0.05
chopped green onion and small pepper: 0.25
3 eggs: 1.13
3 slices bacon: 1.12
3 large tortillas: 0.90
1 slice American cheese: 0.13
1 teabag for iced tea: 0.15

Total: $4.73 for 3 burritos, plus extra potatoes on the side

Steam the potatoes and fry up in the oil with peppers and onion.

Microwave bacon until crispy.

Scramble the eggs and top with the cheese.

Wrap in tortillas and enjoy!

No comments: