Sunday, September 5, 2010

Perfect Vegetables


Have I mentioned lately how much I love this cookbook? Because I do. It's one of those cookbooks where every recipe I've tried has been a success.

When you belong to a CSA, and you find yourself with an abundance of vegetables, sometimes, you just need help finding a good recipe. This is where I turn.

Being that Perfect Vegetables is from the folks at Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen, the recipes tend to have many steps. But they are always successful.

Last night's dish was Pasta with cherry tomatoes, capers, summer squash (which is the vegetable I was trying to use up), and goat cheese. There was lemon in there too, and fresh parsley. Recipe called for shallots, but I used onion.

I won't post it here (you'll have to buy the book or join their on-line club or borrow the book from the library). But despite the 2-3 steps required, and tons if little bowls used in making it (mise en place, anyone? Hey, that's a French term I *didn't* learn in high school French.) - it was a real winner, worth the extra effort. I've gotten quite adept at pasta of late (with homemade pesto), but it's nice to just follow a recipe and know the seasoning will be correct.

2 comments:

Biz said...

Ha - had to laugh about your husband's chicken :D

I have never been disappointed with any America's Test Kitchen/Country Cooks recipe - totally worth the $$ to get their recipes online!

Have a great Sunday!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

My favorite part of America's test kitchen is reading all the different things they do to get to the recipe and why they did the things they did.

You can never go wrong with their recipes because they've done all the trial and error already.