Saturday, January 24, 2009

The week

Sorry! No new recipes for the week. I tried a recipe from a cookbook I got for Christmas - Vegan Express, by Nava Atlas. It was underwhelming, but I didn't follow the recipe exactly. After a few additions, it got better.

I also made a pad-thai like dish with noodles, tofu, peanuts, lime, cilantro, and cabbage. We ate these two vegan meals all week.

The first one was quinoa - in the end, it had kidney beans, corn, artichoke hearts, salsa, roasted onion and bell pepper, parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin.

I am going to do a roast chicken, aloo gobi, baked collard chips, and red lentil curry tonight. I've posted all these on here before, except the red lentil curry. If it's good, I'll post the recipe! I got the recipe from a friend from Bangladesh, so I know it's good when SHE makes it. I'm just not sure if it's good when *I* make it.

An update on the CSA for the week:
1 bunch beets - dinner Monday, roasted
1 bunch collards - dinner Saturday, baked into chips
1 acorn squash - probably save for next week (we're eating last week's delicata tomorrow, roasted, as a side dish to baked pasta with veggies)
1 lb clementines - snacking
1 lb brussel sprouts - sauteed or roasted, as a side on Tuesday (with leftover split pea soup from the freezer)
1 bu yakuna savoy (an Asian green), as a side on Weds with leftovers
1 bu green onions (with the yakuna savoy)
1/4 lb spinach - on sandwiches or in a little salad.

Thursday I just signed up to donate blood at 6:15, so my hubby will be cooking dinner. I think it will be some leftover turkey from Thanksgiving with gravy (from a jar, also leftover) and mashed potatoes.

On Thursday I did my volunteer shift. It used to be that you could "opt out" by paying $40. Last year the CSA doubled in size, and I guess a bunch of people opted out of volunteering and didn't pay the fee. Instead, this year, everyone had to pay the fee. And if you volunteer, then you get a $50 gift card to the stand. I will be saving this for avocados, strawberries, and figs.

I really enjoyed talking to the fellow members, swapping recipes and ideas, and chatting with the other volunteers. It's great to really get to know the farm.

No comments: