Saturday, January 24, 2009

Red Lentil Curry


This recipe came from my friend Shithi, who is originally from Bangladesh. It was yummy, even though I forgot to remove the bay leaf before I pureed it.

Red Lentil Curry:
1 small onion, diced (0.20)
2 T canola oil (0.07)
1/2 tsp turmeric (0.05)
1/2 tsp coriander (0.10)
1/4 tsp cumin (0.05)
1/2 tsp fresh garlic, minced (3 small cloves) (0.15)
1 bay leaf (0.05)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 c. red lentils (1.50)
2.5 c. water
1 tsp salt
Total: $2.17 for about 4 cups, or $0.27 per half cup

Saute onion in oil until soft. Add garlic and saute one more minute. Add spices and saute one more minute. Add lentils and water.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 15-20 min. At this point I should have fished out the bay leaf. I got a smoother consistency by using the immersion blender a little bit. I still wanted a few chunks.

This was a little runny (it's supposed to be). I didn't make rice or naan, but it was still good (scooped it up with the aloo gobi and roasted chicken). I will maybe make some flatbread tomorrow to eat the leftovers with on Monday.

The roasted chicken was good. But it was a grocery store chicken ($2.60), not a farmer's market chicken ($12), so it wasn't THAT good.

The collard green chips were a success, like the kale chips. My son really liked the lentil curry and the collard chips, though he ate the chicken and aloo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower) too. He's a bit of a bottomless pit, and followed that up with some yogurt. Now he's eating carrots sticks.

No comments: