Tuesday, March 29, 2011

German Red Cabbage


I found this recipe from allrecipes, and it's here. I substituted some regular vinegar for cider (I ran out of cider), and used powdered allspice. It was very tasty and freezes well. We got a very big red cabbage from the CSA this week.

I love the CSA. I have learned to really love my greens, even the bitter ones. We've had plenty this winter and spring!

With the red cabbage, I made the sauce from the Sesame Cashew Noodles, and tossed it with cooked brown rice, steamed and chopped collard greens, and a can of mixed vegetables. Yes, I do sometimes eat canned veggies. When you buy them for an "emergency ration", you need to rotate them occasionally.

German Red Cabbage
1 red cabbage: 2.00
1 medium onion: 0.20
2 apples: 1.00
3/4 c. cider vinegar: 0.25
1/4 c. sugar: 0.31
1 T. butter: 0.06
1.5 c. water
1 tsp salt
6 peppercorns: 0.02
2 whole cloves: 0.02
1 bay leaf: 0.02
1/8 tsp allspice: 0.04

2tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp water. 0.05

Total: $3.97 for a LOT of cabbage. Probably 12 generous servings. $0.33 per serving.

Click on the allrecipes link above to get the directions. It was really just cook everything except cornstarch and water in a pot for 1.25 hrs, then mixed in the cornstarch and water and boil to thicken.

2 comments:

Rosemary Evergreen said...

I find that there aren't a lot of recipes written for red cabbage. Here are some other ways that we eat it:

On tacos (we always use cabbage instead of lettuce)
In borscht (add a little vinegar to keep the red color; otherwise, it will turn blue. Did you ever do the red cabbage juice science experiment, in which it as used as an indicator for pH?)
In cole slaw
In any kind of salad, or sprinkled on top

Marcia said...

I don't remember that science experiment, but I have to try it!