Saturday, February 5, 2011

Posole


So, this recipe comes from "The Best 30 Minute Recipe" from Cook's Illustrated. You see, I decided to make posole. I decided to make it because my son's school had it a month ago, and when I picked him up from school he talked about it for an hour. You see, my son loves soup. He will eat anything (almost) in a soup. This comes from when he was in childcare and his babysitter made homemade soup for lunch almost every day for the kids. Well, she probably made it 1-2x a week, and served leftovers.

In any event, he went on and on about the hominy "looks like corn, but isn't exactly like it, it's a lot bigger, and it's white, and ...." So I decided to make it for him. And today, our new computer died. So I couldn't surf for a recipe because I didn't feel like booting up the laptop. And really, I have 100 cookbooks. I wish I were exaggerating. I haven't counted. I started looking through cookbooks (turns out the Mexican cookbook didn't have a recipe). Found it.

Now, I didn't follow the recipe EXACTLY. Because I never do. Mostly, I subbed the last of the leftover turkey meat from the $56 Thanksgiving turkey instead of pork.

It was delicious!! Really really a keeper recipe.

Turkey posole
1 to 1.5 lbs leftover turkey: $5.00 (this was the free range turkey, I gotta be honest)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes: 0.60
1 28 oz can hominy: 1.39
4 cups chicken broth: free/homemade
1 Tbsp canola oil: 0.03
2 Tbsp flour: 0.02
1 onion, diced: 0.30
1 tsp dried oregano: 0.05
1/2 Tbsp chili powder: 0.05
1/2 tsp salt: 0.01
6 cloves garlic, pressed: 0.30
salt and pepper to taste

garnish: shredded cabbage (0.05), sliced radishes (0.20), lime wedges(0.40), diced avocado (free)

Total: $8.40 for about 10 cups, or $0.84 per cup.

Heat the tomatoes, oregano, stock, and drained/rinsed hominy in a saucepan. This is necessary if, like me, you use homemade stock which is frozen in a big cube.

Saute the onion with 1/2 tsp salt and the chili powder in the oil until soft, about 10 min. Add garlic and saute 1 more minute.

Add flour and cook about 5 mins on low. Slowly add the stock and stir until well blended. Add the turkey. Cook slowly for at least 10 min, but I think I did 30. Add salt and pepper to taste, but oops, I think I forgot that step. Ah well, it was still delicious.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Aww your son sounds adorable and I love that he's really into food! This posole sounds delicious! I've never had hominy but I really want to try it.