Thursday, June 10, 2010

Veggies! - frozen and canned.


I love veggies. If you've read this blog for long, you know that I LOVE fresh veggies and belong to a 10-month a year CSA. And I shop at the farmer's market.

But sometimes, you are left with frozen or canned. In the winter. If you don't live in Sunny Southern California. If, like us, you eat so many veggies that before the next pick-up day of the CSA (Thursday), you have run out of all your fresh veggies. I do like to keep frozen veggies on hand for this case, and also like to have some canned veggies around sometimes too. Like when I don't feel like cooking up a pot of beans.

So here are couple of pictures of recent creations of the frozen-and-canned sort.

First: frozen mixed Normandy vegetables. The kind you'd get at Costco in a big frozen bag. This has cauliflower, squash, carrots, and broccoli. The problem with "mixes" like this is the mush factor. The squash gets watery and mushy sometimes if you try steaming. However...roasting.

I surfed the net for roasting frozen veggies, and found that it is possible. In this case, I tossed the frozen (unthawed) veggies with olive oil, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast at 425 for 20 min or so, flip, and roast some more. Be sure to use foil on your pan for easy flipping. Yummy!

Next up: Canned. I had an avocado, and I was feeling like a black bean and corn salad.

Ingredients:
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup salsa
garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
vinegar (plain white in this case, but balsamic, white wine, or rice would be good too)

No measurements here, I just played around with it. Delicious!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the first pic.....so simple and so delicious especially topped with the avocado.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin said...

I like to have frozen veggies on hand to use on occasion when i don't have fresh ones. I go to the farmer's market a lot and also get a CSA but frozen veggies are good to have just in case!

Joanne said...

I love that you guys finish your CSA share before the week is up. That shows some serious veggie-eating dedication!

Julie @ Gettin' Healthy....Still Cheap... said...

Yum! I just found your blog, love it! Your pictures are making me hungry. :)