Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bulgur Salad

You know, I might as well call this tabouli. It's a lot like tabouli. I decided to cook up some bulgur - it's fast, it's easy, and I was hot and tired this week (worst...work week...ever).

I got a bunch of great stuff from the CSA this week. Then I went out to my garden to pick some parsley, found a ripe cucumber (where did that come from?) some tomatoes (which I will cook up this weekend)...

After we ate the salad, I added some more stuff that wasn't quite ready by dinner time, so it looks less like tabouli than when I started.


I guess the lesson here is...put in whatever you've got.
I'm estimating some numbers here...I have no idea what flageolet beans cost!
Bulgur salad
1 cup bulgur wheat: 0.50
1 cup boiling water: 0
1 small bell pepper, diced: 0.30
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced: 0 (garden)
1/2 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved: 1.50 (from CSA)
2 cloves garlic: 0.10
handful of fresh parsley: 0
1 ear corn, steamed 10 min, cut from cob: 0.79
1/2 lb flageolet (shelled) beans, cooked 20 min in water: 1.00
1 Tbsp olive oil: 0.11
juice of 1 lemon: 0.15
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar: 0.15
salt and pepper to taste

Total: $4.60 for about 8 cups of food, or $0.58 per cup

We had this with shrimp (free from the neighbor) - and, my hubby doesn't like shrimp! Or any shellfish! I had no idea...this, after 13 years of marriage. And fresh corn from the CSA. My son ate 1.5 ears...he basically stole 1/2 of my ear. I'd complain, but when your kid wants to eat organic corn on the cob...you know, it beats cookies.



1 comment:

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,


petitchef.com