Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bulgur Salad

You know, I might as well call this tabouli. It's a lot like tabouli. I decided to cook up some bulgur - it's fast, it's easy, and I was hot and tired this week (worst...work week...ever).

I got a bunch of great stuff from the CSA this week. Then I went out to my garden to pick some parsley, found a ripe cucumber (where did that come from?) some tomatoes (which I will cook up this weekend)...

After we ate the salad, I added some more stuff that wasn't quite ready by dinner time, so it looks less like tabouli than when I started.


I guess the lesson here is...put in whatever you've got.
I'm estimating some numbers here...I have no idea what flageolet beans cost!
Bulgur salad
1 cup bulgur wheat: 0.50
1 cup boiling water: 0
1 small bell pepper, diced: 0.30
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced: 0 (garden)
1/2 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved: 1.50 (from CSA)
2 cloves garlic: 0.10
handful of fresh parsley: 0
1 ear corn, steamed 10 min, cut from cob: 0.79
1/2 lb flageolet (shelled) beans, cooked 20 min in water: 1.00
1 Tbsp olive oil: 0.11
juice of 1 lemon: 0.15
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar: 0.15
salt and pepper to taste

Total: $4.60 for about 8 cups of food, or $0.58 per cup

We had this with shrimp (free from the neighbor) - and, my hubby doesn't like shrimp! Or any shellfish! I had no idea...this, after 13 years of marriage. And fresh corn from the CSA. My son ate 1.5 ears...he basically stole 1/2 of my ear. I'd complain, but when your kid wants to eat organic corn on the cob...you know, it beats cookies.



No comments: