Sunday, May 24, 2009

Oatmeal


So, I like oatmeal. We buy the instant packs as "emergency" breakfasts. They are kinda gluey and have way too much sugar, but they do the job. I prefer steel cut oats...nutty and chewy. They take a long time to cook, so I cook a bunch. But it takes me 5 days to eat them all...I get kinda tired of them.

Recently I discovered a new blog: http://www.katheats.com/

It's awesome, and exactly my kind of eating. She really eats a lot of oatmeal. She has a tribute to oatmeal.

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

We ran out of bread yesterday for breakfast. I am running low on steel-cut oats, but got a huge box of regular (not quick cooking) oats awhile back. So I decided to look at Kath's site and find some oatmeal to try.

I did the whipped banana oats with a little less liquid. I added in about a tbsp of 9 grain cereal, and topped with a bit of almond butter.

The first bite was...chewy. But they grew on me VERY quickly. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them, and with no sugar either! I ended up losing 1/3 of the bowl to my child. This new way of making oats (and choosing different toppings) will be very fun, I am thinking. And I may never have to buy steel cut oats again.

Whipped Banana Oats:
1/3 c. old fashioned oats: 0.05 (I think I got a really good deal at the store with a coupon)
1/2 banana: 0.10
1 tsp almond butter: 0.05
1/4 tsp vanilla: 0.04
pinch salt
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. milk: 0.03
Total: $0.27 for one serving.

No comments: