Saturday, March 7, 2009

Week 1 March

Week 1 of March I came in at $37.66 (goal under $40). Technically, week's not over until tomorrow, but I have no plans to shop tomorrow. Next Sat is my son's birthday party, so groceries for the week will be focused on that.

What I got this week:

CSA
turnips
lettuce
red cabbage
oranges
clementines
arugula
radishes
kale
kohlrabi

and I still have last week's fennel and some carrots.

Stores:
applesauce
onions, garlic, red lentils
flatbread, milk, blue cheese
sesame oil, rice vinegar
frozen vegetables, and some other stuff that escapes me

My pantry and freezer are stocked from the very flush $300 Feb month.

Meal plans for the week:
Sat: red lentil curry, red cabbage and apple slaw, roast turnips, flatbread
Sun: roast chicken, fried brown rice, kohlrabi
Mon: leftovers and salad
Tue: spaghetti with homemade pesto (do you have any idea how much I have in the freezer?) and roasted kale
Wed: leftovers and sweet and sour red cabbage
Thurs: crockpot taco soup (with adjustments - additional herbs instead of the ranch dip mix - which is not frugal - $2.59 a packet, and not healthy - 1st and 2nd ingredients are MSG and salt, and I'm using beans cooked from dried).
Fri: leftovers

I am going to be making much more use of the crockpot and pressure cooker. I return to full time on Monday :( for two reasons...too much work and the need to buy a new car (ours was wrecked).

Too much work - I've decided that it's probably less stressful to work 40 hrs and get paid for 40, than try to get 40 hrs of work done in 30, end up working 35 (but getting paid for 30). And my bosses are okay with me doing work from home, 5-10 hrs a week. We'll see how that goes. Mostly those hrs will be early morning (5:30 to 6:30), evening (8 to 9) - all while my toddler is sleeping. Or nap times on weekends.

Still haven't replaced the car. I hate car shopping.

No comments: