Thursday, March 12, 2009

Crockpot Taco Soup


This recipe originated here. I am looking forward to testing out more. I don't use my crockpot very much, but with a return to full time, I expect to use it more.

Of course, I adjusted the recipe to both make it cheaper and a bit more "from scratch". First, I used dried beans instead of canned. This meant cooking up 1 cup of dried kidney beans in the pressure cooker on Sat (and then freezing), and cooking up 1 cup of dried pintos on Sunday. On Tuesday, I browned the meat. Instead of the large can diced tomatoes and small can of tomatoes and chiles, I used 3 cans (14 oz) of diced tomatoes and 4 oz can of green chiles. I added a "cube" of chipotle (I buy it, puree it, don't use very much, put it in ice cube trays, move to a freezer bag, where it languishes. It's hot. I have to make a LOT of something so that it's not too hot.)

I also subbed some spices for the MSG-filled "ranch dip mix".

So here goes. My son loves the "juice" of soup (the broth), and kept saying "juice is spicy, milk makes it better".

Crockpot Taco Soup
3 c. cooked kidney beans, drained: 0.45
3 c. cooked pinto beans, drained: 0.33
2 cans corn, undrained: 1.78
3 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz each), undrained: 1.68
1 can diced green chiles: 0.60
1 packet taco seasoning: 0.50
1 lb browned ground sirloin: 2.25
chipotle, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, onion flakes, and parsley ("ranch dip" substitute): 0.50
Total: 8.09 for about 17 cups, or 0.48 per cup

Dump in crockpot. Stir. Cook for 8 hours on low.

This was pretty good. Not fabulously good, even with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips. But pretty good. I might try it next time vegetarian, and add some fresh onion and garlic.

I served this with Bok Choy with a soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, molasses, and peanut butter sauce mixture. It was pretty good, even if it doesn't sound it.

It's a big week on the farm:
2 bunches bok choy
1 head napa cabbage
the largest head of lettuce I've ever seen
1 bunch mustard greens
1 bunch collard greens
2 kohlrabi
3 oranges
1 lb mandarins
1/4 lb spinach

Cabbage is going into ramen slaw for the big birthday bash. Lettuce and spinach for salad and sandwiches. Greens maybe for an egg dish, or collard chips. Kohlrabi for stir-fry. That should get me all the way to next Weds. I still have a bulb of fennel from last week...I traded the fennel for extra bok choy this week.

1 comment:

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

This looks like a great recipe!! Thanks for sharing!