Sunday, May 25, 2008

Chili Beans


I cooked up some dried kidney beans (a pound) in the pressure cooker yesterday. Today I mixed them with some onion, carrots, diced tomatoes, jalapeno, tomato paste, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, a little molasses, and a tiny bit of cider vinegar...kind of a sweet and sour chili bean. They were good, my toddler saw them on the table, climbed up and started eating (before dinner). This is actually one of my tricks to get him to eat his veggies...I put them on the table first.

I set aside some of the kidney beans for tomorrow's salad. Here's an approximation.

2/3 lb kidney beans: 0.80
1 can diced tomato: 0.50
1 carrot: 0.10
1/4 cup diced onion: 0.13
2 T. tomato paste: 0.04
spices: 0.15
vinegar and oil: 0.20
molasses: 0.20


$2.12 for about 5-6 cups.

No comments: