Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas and Strawberry Season!

Sunday night was a bit of enchilada-making, mostly the spouse making them (I had a killer headache) with my help here and there.

We bought a couple of roasted chickens on Friday, didn't eat them.  So I made chicken sandwiches and chicken enchiladas, and chicken and rice casserole (stay tuned for that one).  The rest of the chicken went into the freezer.

The enchiladas were pretty basic.  The filling was:
onions
frozen mixed peppers
chicken
black beans
cream cheese (just a teeny bit)
chili powder

I used whole wheat tortillas.

I mixed some spicy enchilada sauce from the freezer with tomato sauce to cut the heat.  Didn't work.  Still too spicy for the kiddo.  Spread the sauce liberally and topped with cheese.  I had extra sauce leftover, which I tossed.  I've started to do that more, rather than try to work it in somewhere else.  Not frugal, but it beats leaving it in the fridge for 5 days and then tossing it.

Strawberry season is here!  Bought some at the farmer's market, and made a yummy salad with mixed greens, berries, and toasted walnuts.  Almonds would be better, but I had walnuts.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Ok you have a farmer's market in February? That has strawberries? Where I live our farmers market is basically June - August :)

Marcia said...

Yes! The glory of living in Southern California. I am spoiled. I grew up in PA, and the farm stands opened July 4, and closed Labor Day.