Saturday, May 7, 2011

Homemade Tomato Soup and Cooking with Kids

I know that lots of moms talk about cooking with kids, and how great it is.  I haven't done it much.  When my husband cooks with our son, it's usually a child-led "experiment" "let's add this!"

I tend to want to get the cooking done as quickly as possible.  So I try to put him off from "I want to play!" by cooking dinner.  It's painful.  Cooking, playing, and exercising have turned into major chores to me lately, and it's stressful.  So I've decided to change that.  I've been biking to work more, and walking places on the weekend (parties, the park) - incorporating exercise into my day.  It makes it more relaxing and fun.



I also decided to try cooking with my kid.  It takes a lot longer.  But it's fun.  For him, it's "playing", and for me, I get to cook dinner and have fun with him at the same time.

So this week was the first time we did it in a long time.  Dinner was tomato soup and kale chips.  He helped wash, rip, and spin the kale.  And toss it with oil on the trays.  A great helper!

This soup was a recipe from my husband, on a day I wasn't coming home for dinner. He did it all by himself (found a recipe, followed it).  It was from Better Homes and Gardens (one of his three cookbooks) and was delicious!  I modified it a bit and made a double batch.

Tomato Soup:
1 Tbsp olive oil: 0.11
1 medium onion, chopped: 0.30
2 cloves garlic: 0.10
1.5 tsp dried basil: 0.05
1/2 tsp dried oregano: 0.03
1/2 tsp dried thyme: 0.05
2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes: 1.16
1 6-oz can tomato paste: 0.33
4 cups turkey broth (or chicken, or veg): free from the T-giving turkey
1 cup water
pepper and salt to taste


Total: $2.13 for 8 servings.  $0.27 per one cup serving.

No comments: