Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lazy Girl's Oatmeal or Granola ... aka... Muesli


I've been thinking a lot about muesli lately. I don't know why. Maybe because I read about French breakfasts. Or I was thinking about Simple Food for the Good Life. Or maybe one of the blogs I followed mentioned it. But I've been thinking.

Earlier this week, I was tired of my morning bread, and thought about oatmeal. Kath got me interested in oatmeal again. I used to eat the instant stuff...when you have a job and a baby...it's easy. Then I switched to steel cut, which tastes MUCH better. But it takes forever to cook. It reheats well, but I didn't find the magic combination. Then Kath introduced me to banana whipped oats...

So I decided to try some tropical oatmeal. I'd been meaning to make granola, but the weekend was filled with painting. Besides, granola you have to bake for about an hour. I had some canned pineapple, some coconut. But I was lazy. Even though it only takes about 5 mins to cook. And I thought...hmm...muesli.

So, I took about 1/3 cup of plain lowfat yogurt. I topped it with 1/4 cup of dry old-fashioned oats. Yep, dry. No cooking. Added some diced pineapple, chopped cashews (macadamias would have been better...cashews are cheaper and in my pantry), and toasted coconut (okay, I wasn't THAT lazy).

This was really really good. Having it again tomorrow.

Tropical Muesli
1/3 cup yogurt: 0.26
1/4 cup oats: 0.06
1/4 cup diced pineapple (canned): 0.10
4-5 chopped cashews: 0.15
2 Tbsp toasted coconut: 0.06

Total: $0.63 for one serving

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Marcia, I found your blog from your link on simpleliving.net. Great stuff! I've added you to my blog favorites. I've eaten the raw oats with various combinations of fruits/nuts/juice/milk/yogurt and really enjoyed it. If you let it sit for a while it gets a pudding-like texture...
Jackie, aka sistersue57