Sunday, December 24, 2017

$19.55

Remember January, and earlier this year?  I had these goals, inspired by Mavis' goals at onehundreddollarsamonth.com.  I had food goals, craft goals, fitness goals.  Somewhere along the line, I got tired of checking in on my goals, which means... I sort of lost sight of them.

There are a lot of reasons for that.  I got busy running half marathons and up mountains.  Layoffs.  New responsibilities, a horrible 2017 filled with...ugh, politics.

Then when I thought it couldn't get any worse, December said "Hold my Beer!" and we were faced with the largest wild fire in CA state history.  Terrible air quality, cancellation of the last 7 days of school before the 2 week winter break, cancellation of the winter camp for the little kid.  Two unplanned and unforced evacuations, 7 days in hotels, a nasty head cold and chest cough. A 5 year old barfing in the hotel room.  Finally returning home and losing water due to a water main break for 24 hours.  Then a 48 hour boil water advisory.

But it's Christmas Eve.  We've been back home and settled in since Monday.  Back to "normal" since Friday.  Yay!  Today I gathered up the various grocery receipts for the last week at hotels and put them into my spreadsheet.  Then I looked up my goal for the year.  What do you know?

My goal for the year was $7000, about $134 per week.  I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to hit it, as these later months were expensive.  But funny that, a week in hotels = eating out more, shopping less, and cancellation of our produce box.

Our total as of today, with 7 days left in this year? $6980.45.  That means if I want to hit my goal, I have $19.55 for the rest of the week.

Can I do it?  Do I even want to try?  I've decided: yes.  Why not.  The fridge, freezer, and pantry are full.  I should be able to get through the week on what we have.  The little bit of $ left in the budget can go to eggs, and maybe fruits and veg if we run out.  The only important thing is to be better at planning for the week.  I can do that, right?  We are home more this week anyway.  I am dangerously low on rice and beans though.

On the menu:
Christmas eve: Vegan chili from The New Fast Food and corn bread
Christmas day: Chicken legs, mashed potatoes, roast brussels sprouts and green beans

Rest of the week: leftover rice & chicken, more chili, probably a quinoa and lentil dish, lots of quesadillas with guac for lunch.  I think I'll be eating a lot of oatmeal for breakfast and salad for lunch.  Husband is getting sandwiches!

We have leftover fruit salad from this morning's pot luck.  Next week's potluck I'll make scones and an egg dish.  Instead of doing something for New Year's (who am I kidding, I go to bed early), we are attending a NYE party up the street.  Last year we did the same and one adult and all the kids came down to our house.  So, we can provide popcorn! 

So wish me luck.  Assuming I didn't lose a receipt here or there (and if I did, too late!), $19.55 left.  Let's do this!

Obligatory photo of peanut butter balls I made yesterday.




No comments: