Friday, November 10, 2017

Banana Oat Blender Muffins

So, this recipe started with a couple of posts I saw on my facebook feed.  One was for banana oatmeal blender bread.  I made that last week.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51821/gluten-free-banana-bread-recipe/

The main problem with the bread was that the cook time was really low.  20 minutes.  I mean, no.  It's a quick bread, but no.  So I baked it 50 min, and it needed more.  Still, it was delicious.  I adjusted it a bit though, added a little bit of oil. And probably a few TBSP of brown sugar in place of the liquid sweetener. And chocolate chips.  The consistency of this kind of bread is chewy, not crumbly.

I decided this week to do a muffin version.  I'd found this recipe and gave it a try (shared from the same page, 100 days of real food).  The advantage of the muffin version is that I can add different things, since hubby doesn't like chocolate.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/oatmeal-yogurt-blender-muffins-recipe

Of course I edited again.  First, it's Friday and I'm out of a lot of things.  And I don't have Greek yogurt.  So I made homemade buttermilk with milk and vinegar, and subbed that (but used less).  Also, I used maple syrup instead of honey.

Recipe called for 15 min baking, and it needed 20.  Again, a little chewy.  I'm not sure if the chewy is the oats/ banana, or the lack of butter/ oil.  It bums me out that when I look for gluten free/ oat based muffin recipes, people seem to want to make them fat free. Or veganized.  I'm fine with veganized, because I was almost out of eggs.  But damn it, don't be afraid of fat!  I think there is a big tendency (still) to use applesauce, bananas, and honey/ maple syrup as the liquid.

So I'm still on the lookout for a recipe that calls for butter or olive oil too.

I was very excited to see them puff up, but then they sank, just like the picture in the link.  They taste fine, but need a teeny bit more sugar.  My versions were chocolate chips, blueberries, coconut, and walnut.



Banana oat blender muffins
2 c. rolled oats
2 very ripe bananas
2 eggs
3/4 c milk with 1 tbsp vinegar, let sit a few minutes
3 T maple syrup or honey
2 T olive oil or melted butter
2 T brown sugar (new)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash salt
1 tsp vanilla

Toppings: blueberries, chocolate chips, coconut, walnuts...?

Put everything into blender, blend until smooth.
Pour into muffin cups.  Top with toppings.  Bake at 400F for 20-22 min.

No comments: