Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Weekend Cooking Extravaganza

It's another Saturday, time to cook and prep for the week.  The sad thing about my cooking plans is that I generally don't have time to make a menu plan until Saturday.  It's a bit sad because there are three great grocery stores (Fresh and Easy, Trader Joe's, Smart and Final) very close to my baby's daycare.  And I rarely have my grocery list made up in time to go after work.  That would be best...stop at one on Weds, one on Thurs, one on Fri.  No shopping or extra driving on Sat.

I did get 2 of the 3 done yesterday, but that's only because I had been randomly planning my meals in my head in the car.  So at least I am able to do that.

How did I plan my meals?  Well, this last week I ate a LOT of pasta with chicken and vegetables, and a ton of rice and lentils (that stuff was AWESOME), so you know that neither will be on this week's menu.  It has been a LONG time since I've made pizza.  So, I decided to make pizza.  The next thing I do is look at our CSA for the week.  The hubby picks that up now, so I have to make an extra special effort to see what we got.  We have butternut squash, so soup is on the menu too.  And Kalli has been posting delicious meals with sweet potatoes on Facebook, so I have to go buy some.  Also, turkey breast was on sale, so it's turkey sandwiches for lunch this week.

Here's a summary of what I'm cooking this weekend:
Vanilla Chai scones (just add water...)
Crockpot refried beans from 100 days of real food (for burritos at dinner a few nights)
Pizza! (Saturday night will be tomato-based sauce, Sunday will be CSA-parsley-pesto)
Butternut squash soup with ginger (the very first post I ever did on this blog)
Crockpot tri-tip (for burritos)

The rest of the CSA food includes carrots (for carrot sticks and hummus at lunch), lettuce (salad), kale (kale chips because my friend hasn't sent me the quinoa/kale salad recipe yet), spicy greens (salad, and maybe on our turkey sandwiches for lunch).

2 comments:

Biz said...

Hooray for pizza making the menu! When I went to WW, I used to go to the 7:00 a.m. meeting, then go to the grocery store right after - I'd have at least three people at the deli helping me it was so quiet that early in the morning!

Hugs!

Joanne said...

YES for pizza! I haven't made it in forever either...need to change that! I try to menu plan on Thursdays and go grocery shopping on Fridays...some weeks it happens and some weeks it doesn't.