Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grass fed Tri tip

I seem to be on a once-a-week trend of posting.  Considering my bronchitis and lack of sleep, I think that's to be expected.  Luckily, I do have a general menu plan, so I can be brutally honest about what's cookin' in the FHS household.
Last Sunday was tri-tip.  My friend Kelly is my source - she is 100% paloe/Atkins, and she and her hubby buy it in bulk.  That means I get some too at a bargain $8 a lb.  Each package usually has about 3.5 lbs and two small tri-tips.  This is easily enough meat for us to eat all week.  (Truly, it's more than we would normally eat.) 
This week's menu started with tri-tip, rice with veggies from the CSA, and kale chips.

 
The rest of the week involved more tri-tip and rice, skillet pasta (with or without the meat), burritos, more tri-tip with salad...you see the trend here.  Thursday night I made more rice and quinoa to go with the meat for lunch on Friday while I was cooking a dinner of chicken, salad, and cornbread.

Friday night was pizza (ordered in).  Saturday lunch was a friend's birthday party, where we ended up with leftovers.  And Saturday night was pizza.  So, the illness means we are cooking less for sure.  I just haven't been feeling like eating vegetables either.

On that note, the CSA is over for the year.  They extended the season for four weeks, but since we'll be gone that last week, we didn't sign up.  We do need to sign up for next year though.  I should check on that.  So my haul at the farmer's market was larger to make up for it.

This year we're not having turkey (long story), but I am roasting a chicken on a bed of delicious root vegetables.

Poor hubby.  He was supposed to play tennis today for the first time in weeks.  I awoke at about 5 am to a tinkling sound of rain.  No tennis for him.  We've both been slacking on our workouts.  With the inability to breathe, I haven't been swimming in four weeks.  My exercise involves 2 days a week at the gym, 30 mins elliptical, 15 min weights.  And one day walking 2-3 miles on the weekend.  It's gotta be enough to keep me going until I am healthy again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ugh my allergies have been crazy! so sorry it has taken you so long to recover from your sickness. i like the sounds of chicken and root veggies for tday.......ENJOY!