Thursday, July 7, 2011

Green beans! Zucchini frittata! Plus some other stuff.

I found a couple of old photos on my camera.  A stir fry (who me?) and banana nut muffins.  They were good pics, so I thought I'd share.

Earlier this week I got some fresh green beans from the CSA and did a healthified version of my husband's aunt's green beans with onions and butter.

I steamed the beans, sauteed the onions in grapeseed oil.  Then I added the green beans and salt and pepper to the pan to get the beans a little carmely.  Then I added a tbsp of butter.  REALLY good.

And apparently I made banana muffins.  Sometime awhile ago.


But the real star is the frittata.  We got...um...2.5 lbs of zucchini this week from the farm.  I was looking for a recipe that would travel well to the summer "concerts in the park" series.  Every Thursday in the summer, there's a free concert in a local park (though they do solicit donations).  People put down blankets and bring picnics.  Today was a country-Cajun style band.  Really good.  And there is a GREAT park for the kiddos to run around in.  We did that too.  My son's little friend didn't show, so he was sad.

I decided to go for a frittata.  So last night, before I went to my boss's farewell happy hour (while my son crashed on the couch), I shredded zukes and chopped onions and sauteed them down.

After the happy hour, I made the frittata and burned the crap out of my arm on the inside of the door of the 400F oven.  Ouch.  Nice big welt/bruise.  Did I mention I have PMS? Probably not helping. Anyway, the frittata is delicious and tasted awesome lukewarm (just micro'd a bit before we left home) at the park.  You have an unending array of choices for this frittata (tomatoes, spinach, corn, broccoli, leftovers...)

Zucchini frittata
1+ lbs zucchini, shredded: 0.80
1 small onion, chopped: 0.25
1 Tbsp oil: 0.04
s&p to taste

1 Tbsp dijon: 0.03
6 eggs: 1.50
1/2 cup milk: 0.17
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (or mozzarella or cheddar): 0.63

1 "babybel" round cheese, chopped: 0.50 (it was the most available cheese in my fridge)
fresh chopped herbs: rosemary and chives were all that survived our week away
handful of bread crumbs
s&p to taste

Total: $3.42 for about 4 generous servings, or even more appetizer servings.  $0.86 per serving.

Saute the onions and zucchini in the oil with the S&P until soft and until they have given up most of their water.

Whisk the eggs, milk, parmesan, dijon, S&P in a bowl.

Spray a small pan (7x10? 8x10?) with cooking spray or grease.  Spread the zucchini/onion mixture on the bottom.  Put the sliced cheese on top.  Sprinkle on the chopped herbs.  Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.  Pour the egg mixture on top.

Bake at 400F for about 20 to 25 min, until nicely browned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as yes PMS and then you go and burn your arm-not a good combo at all! though i would say the frittata looks delish! enjoy your weekend marcia! any tri training?

Marcia said...

Yup, Saturday morning...today...first ocean swim! Plus bike. Hope the wetsuit still fits.