Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Soup. And Eggs.



It almost seems like cheating to make soup in the Frugal Healthy Simple land. Because, well, duh, soup is frugal if you do it right.

So I made soup on Sunday. It's quite yummy, and I made a ton. Half is in the freezer for later. We've eaten the leftovers tonight and there will be more for lunch and dinner this week.

But before I give the "recipe" (and I use that word lightly...I just throw in whatever I have), I have to talk about the eggs. Oh, the eggs.

I buy eggs at the grocery store, usually. Sometimes regular, usually "cage free". At times, I've purchased them locally at the farmer's market with promises of how much more humanely the chickens are treated (which is very much true), and how much better the eggs taste. Truthfully, I never really noticed the eggs tasting all that much better.

But today. My friend Kelly brought eggs to work. Kelly has chickens. She and I went on a field trip to a coworker's to talk chickens and gardens a bit ago. I got three of her very fresh eggs. Alas, I didn't get the blue ones. But BOY did I taste the difference. These eggs were the best I've ever tasted. Each family member got one (spouse got one with 2 yolks!) Might have to try the farmer's market eggs again.

Chicken Vegetable Soup (makes about 20 cups)
1 Tbsp canola oil: 0.03
1 small onion, chopped: 0.20
4 tiny bunch onions, chopped: 0.25
3 large leeks, chopped and rinsed to remove sand: 3.00
2 cloves garlic, chopped: 0.10
3 large carrots, chopped: 0.45
1 cooked chicken breast, diced (leftover from my party): $1.50
1 large zucchini, diced: free (thank you Lori)
some leftover broccoli stalks that I found in the freezer: free
1 can cannellini beans, drained: 0.89
1 Tbsp dried basil: 0.10
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano: 0.05
1 tsp dried thyme: 0.05
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh pepper
1 cube homemade pesto: 0.25
2 cups homemade chicken stock: 0.20
1 veg bouillon cube: 0.38
1/2 can tomato paste: 0.17
a whole lotta water (enough to make 20 cups of soup)
4 oz alphabet pasta: 0.17
1/2 cup frozen peas: 0.20
handful of chopped kale and chard from the garden: 0.10

Total: $8.09 for 20 cups, or $0.40 per cup. About $0.60 per serving (we adults eat 1.5 cups)


The zucchini on the side came from this recipe. Also thanks to Lori at work (the zucchini). See, I'm trying to lose a few lbs (this time gained DURING vacation AND AFTER vacation), and I needed a zero point recipe. This fit the bill. A little salty, but still good.

No comments: