Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cornbread Stuffing



This falls into the category of: My goodness, I have three bags full of bread heels/stale bread in the freezer, what do I do with it? Turns out, my neighbor composts it. We just started composting, and I didn't realize you could do that. And there's only so many breadcrumbs you can use in a week/month.

I decided to make my spouse's grandpa's cornbread stuffing, even though it's not Thanksgiving. I've not made it before (but I've helped), it's the hubby's job.

It's a little labor intensive, because you need cornbread. So we made that first.

And mine wasn't quite as good as hubby's - I tried to make a half batch, but I think I halved everything except the bread. You see, being a true old-timer recipe, there's not measurements. Or very few.

Grandpa's Cornbread Stuffing:
1/2 of a 9x9 pan of cornbread
Bread (really, that's what the recipe says). I think I used about 8 slices, cubed
2 eggs
3 stalks celery, diced
1.5 onions, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper
1 T sage
chicken stock to moisten

Saute the vegetables in the oil until soft. Add in bread and crumbled corn bread. Add stock to moisten. Add eggs and spices.

Bake at 350F for about 30-45 mins, until hot.

Mine definitely didn't have enough sage...still tasty though.

No comments: