Monday, July 21, 2008

Cleaning out the fridge...and traveling

Actually, the cleaning lady I just hired scrubbed out the fridge (I'm in LOVE!!) Perhaps not frugal, but it definitely simplifies my life and I finally have a clean house.

Anyway, we are heading out soon on a vacation. So, I am trying to eat up what is in our fridge and freezer, and not buy anything new. So, the meals of late have been a mishmash.
I made pasta salad with broccoli, green beans, zucchini, onion, and tomatoes from the CSA. It also had olives, sundried tomato, and some homemade pesto (made from basil from the CSA).

I also made a stir-fried pineapple quinoa with cashews loosely based on a recipe from "Veganomicon". I say loosely based, because I absolutely substituted whatever veggies I had (meaning, peas were the only thing that matched), and I used canned pineapple instead of fresh (the horrors!) and I ran out of quinoa so it was half quinoa and half bulgur. Still, a pretty good dish and we're finishing the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Traveling - We are heading out by plane soon, and you know how that goes...they don't feed you anymore, our layover is short. So, I am packing for the trip. The food will be in my backpack: turkey sandwiches, carrot sticks, apple slices, and a few cookies. Plus our (empty) water bottles. I will also carry some entertainment - a few toddler books and maybe a toy or two.
My husband will be carrying the DVD player with the Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs. We are parents who did not let our son watch TV until age two. We try to only let him watch 20-30 min per day now. But for a cross country flight? Yeah, we'll let it slide.
Of course my son's small backpack will serve as the diaper bag/spare clothing.
We will have three checked bags (one per person, so as not to have to pay for them). One is the carseat. The others - we are planning on doing laundry, and are only taking 4 changes of clothing. We will also pack some emergency supplies, mainly tea bags and instant oatmeal (because you just never know).

No comments: