Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bean and Spinach Patties

Bean and Spinach Patties

This recipe came courtesy of a yahoo board that I am on. It originated with Nava Atlas:

http://vegkitchen.com/recipes/bean-main-dishes.htm

It's been adjusted a tiny bit. I made it tonight and it was delicious. Vegan, tasty, and it's inspiring me to try it with different bean/flavor combos (black bean and southwestern, and kidney bean and italian).

1/3 c. oatmeal (0.06)
2/3 c. boiling water
1/3 c. wheat germ (0.70)
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry (0.60)
15 oz can cannelini or northern beans, drained and rinsed (0.70)
2 scallions, minced (0.20)
1 tsp dried thyme (recipe called for dill, didn't have it)
1 tsp all purpose salt-free seasoning (I used steak seasoning)
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, pressed (0.10)

Combine oatmeal and boiling water in a bowl. Let stand 5-10 min. (There was leftover water for me, so I scooped out the oatmeal and left out the water).

Mash beans very well in a mixing bowl.

Add oatmeal, squeezed spinach, and rest of ingredients. Mix well. Form into patties.

Heat nonstick skillet to medium high. Add oil. Saute 6 min on each side until browned.

This made 7 patties for me, at about $2.50 when you add the oil. So that's $0.36 each. But I ate two, as did my spouse. Toddler ate 1/2.

No comments: