Sunday, May 13, 2012

Grillin' and Patio Eatin' and organizing

Today was another banner cooking day...1/2 hour of cooking, 15 mins of sitting and folding laundry.  Repeat.  The day started out weirdly.  We went out for bagels for breakfast.  I thought it would be a great idea to take my car, then we could get groceries on the way home and put gas in my car.  Except it wouldn't start.  Dead battery.  Either there is something wrong with my interior light or I accidentally bump it when I get all of my stuff out of the passenger seat.  So, we took spouse's car.

The weekend was pretty busy with us nesting.  We headed to Ventura for a birthday party, and stopped by Target while we were there.  We are short on storage space for upcoming baby.  In general, we prefer to have my husband actually MAKE our furniture - it's much nicer and more functional, (and cheaper) than buying it.  We had a little argument about it this time when I said "but how long will it take you to FINISH it?"  Which was not meant to be an insult on his ability to "finish" things...it was meant as a "I know you can get it done in a weekend, but when am I going to be willing to give you a whole weekend to do it in the next 8 weeks?"

So we compromised and bought some cubbies for hallway storage and decided that he's still going to have to redo the hall closet with shelves, hooks, framing, and a real door.  Which will take several weekends.

That all meant that mother's day weekend wasn't very relaxing, what with putting together cubbies and attaching them to the wall so they are secure, plus doing some purging (the sheer amount of cheap plastic shit that my son comes home with is astounding).  Next weekend will have to be more organizing/ closet purging.  I tend to have a policy that when something new comes into the house, something has to leave.  A necessity with a small house.  Well, a family member recently made a comment about that when I said I needed to purge to make some room for the baby with "don't you already have a policy that you get rid of something when something new comes in?  Shouldn't you already have space?"  Well, yeah, but I'm getting a new person, so I'm not getting rid of the old kid to make room for the new kid.

In between all this work I made a black bean/corn/barley salad for a potluck at the school tomorrow (kindergarten teacher appreciation day).  I also made black bean soup.  I decided we should grill today, and my son thought it would be a great idea to eat outside (which we never do), so we did.

Grilled shrimp, salad, corn

Black bean soup

Banana chocolate chip cookies- GF and vegan, no added sugar (except the chips)

I enjoyed a little swim today but still my dogs are BARKING.  Time to enjoy a cookie and some milk, then read my kindle a bit before bed.  If you have a kindle, you have to go to this site.  Lots of free books!

Also, do you Pinterest?  I have to admit, I love this site.  I have been using it to bookmark crafts and recipes that I want to try or have tried...it's awesome!  I still print them out though, when I actually go to make them.

2 comments:

Biz said...

Isn't it funny how you start to nest when the baby is coming?

I love your blog post title!

And thanks for your comment today - it made me smile! :D

Joanne said...

I think it's so cool that the husband makes his own furniture! That's awesome.