Sunday, April 10, 2011

Asparagus Risotto and Roasted Beet Salad




Well, today was another take on risotto. I had asparagus (on sale for $0.99/lb!), garden parsley (the gopher has been going after it though), onion, green onions, lemon juice and zest, and parmesan and goat cheese. Plus leftover vegetable broth.

You can go here for the method I use to cook risotto (pressure cooker method). Hey, I have a full time job. I know that it's Sunday, but still. I used this beet recipe. I cut the dressing down, and used red wine vinegar because that's what I had. I got this recipe from my neighbor, who has a produce delivery service. I googled the recipe and found it online. Amazing.


Asparagus Risotto 1.5 cup arborio rice: $2.25
1 bunch asparagus: 0.99
2 oz goat cheese: 1.00
parsley 1 "cube" lemon juice/zest: free from the neighbor
1.5 c water
2 c. vegetable stock: 0.75
4 green onions, sliced: 0.30
1/4 of a red onion, chopped: 0.10
2 cloves garlic, pressed: 0.10
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese: 0.16
2 T canola oil: 0.06
salt and pepper to taste
Total: $5.71 for 6 1-cup servings, $0.95 each.

1. Boil 1.5 c water in pressure cooker, add asparagus (tough stems removed), cover and steam 3 minutes. Remove asparagus and let cool. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Pour the cooking water into a measuring cup.

2. Saute red onion in oil until soft. Add risotto and garlic and cook, stirring, one minute (until risotto is coated). Add cooking water and vegetable broth, for a total of 3.5 c. liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover and bring to pressure. Cook 5 min at pressure.

3. Reduce pressure using quick release method. Add lemon juice, asparagus, parmesan, parsley, green onions, goat cheese, salt and pepper. Stir well. Enjoy.
Yeah, and it turns into gum for leftovers. Still tastes yummy.

My kid must have been hungry. He MOWED through this dinner.

No comments: