Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stir-fried kohlrabi

This is inspired by World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey. Love this cookbook. As usual, I adjusted it based on what I had.

This week at the CSA pickup, I saw a trade basket FILLED with kohlrabi. Usually it's leeks, radishes, or fennel. But I guess there wasn't any of that this week. I couldn't conceive of it - I love kohlrabi. Thought about swapping something to get extra...but I loved everything.

Then I realized...this week was the first week of the summer season. Soo...a bunch of newbies to the farm, who look at kohlrabi and say "huh?"

Now I've steamed it, sauteed it, stir-fried it, put it in potato salad, eaten it raw...this was the best recipe ever. No pic, because we ate it all up, all three of us.

Stir-fried kohlrabi
2 medium kohlrabi, about 10 oz: $1.50 (just guessing, I've never actually paid for the stuff direct)
1 T. canola oil: 0.04
1 clove garlic, pressed: 0.05
1 tsp sesame oil (dark): 0.10
1 tsp soy sauce: 0.05
salt and pepper to taste
pinch red pepper flakes
Total: $1.74 for three servings (smallish ones at that).

Cut the ends off the kohlrabi and peel. Slice into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices. Stack and cut again into 1/8th to 1/4 inch matchsticks. Set aside.

Heat canola oil in nonstick skillet on medium high. Add red pepper flake and stir one minute. Add garlic and saute 10 sec, add kohlrabi and stir immediately. Add S&P, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring regularly, for 10 min.

Add sesame oil and soy sauce and stir to combine.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love so many of the recipes you have on here so I will be stopping by often. I've heard only good things about this cookbook and recently requested it to be sent from NY's central library to my local one. Hopefully I will be perusing it soon. I've never had kohlrabi but hope to encounter it someday. When I do, I'll know who to turn to for some inspiration!