Thursday, April 2, 2009

Red Lentil Soup for Crockpot

This recipe comes from 125 Best Vegetarian Crockpot Recipes.


It's tasty. I made a couple of adjustments. It makes about 15 cups (a lot). It came out...crunchy. I think it was crunchy because I cooked up the veggies the night before, and put the lentils in the crockpot with everything else the next day...cold. I think I should have followed the directions and added the lentils and stock or water to the hot veggies the night before, cook a bit, then move to the crockpot and put in the fridge overnight.


So, we're eating crunchy soup. Hey, I was really tired, hub was out of town, it was late. I took a shortcut.



Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup

1 T. canola oil: 0.04
2 cups dried red lentils: 2.25
6 cups water or vegetable stock (I used water and veggie bouillon)
2 large onions, finely diced: 0.40
2 large carrots, cut in half lengthwise and sliced: 0.30
2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes: 1.12
4 cloves garlic, pressed: 0.20
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp turmeric: 0.15
1/2 tsp cumin: 0.02
pinch cayenne
1 14-oz can light coconut milk: 1.99
2 T lemon juice: 0.15
Total: $6.80 for 15 cups, or 10 1.5-cup servings. $0.68 per serving.



Saute onion and carrot in oil until very soft. Add spices, salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook one min. Add tomatoes and cook 2 more minutes. Add stock and lentils, cook a few minutes.


Put into crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours (or put in fridge at this point, and put in crock in the morning. I did my prep at night.)


After 8-10 hours, use the immersion blender to blend up the veggies a bit (my preference). Add the lemon juice and coconut milk. Cook on high 30 min. Add cilantro if you like, and hot sauce to taste.

No comments: