Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuna Casserole ala WW

That's Weight Watchers for those of you who are wondering. I found this WW recipe recently and adjusted it based on what I had on hand. For example, I don't buy low-fat cheese, unless it's a naturally lower-fat cheese.

This was pretty easy, and a great use of those 12 cans of tuna you bought to make it through that last disaster (um...yeah, I have to eat them a bit faster). If you happen to be allergic to fish (you know who you are), use leftover chicken or turkey. If you are vegetarian, I bet mushrooms would be great in this.

Whole wheat tuna casserole:
1 c. milk (I used 1%): 0.19
1 T flour: 0.01
6 oz can tuna in water, drained: 0.50
1 c. frozen peas and carrots: 0.50 (anything would work here...broccoli, just peas...)
3 oz whole wheat pasta (I used up some regular): 0.14 (0.24 for whole wheat)
2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded: 0.36
2 tsp dijon mustard: 0.17
1 T dried parsley: 0.05
1/2 tsp onion powder: 0.02
1/4 tsp salt and pepper: 0.03
cooking spray
Total: $1.97 for four 1-c servings, or $0.49 each. 4pt each, but probably 4.5 'cuz I used real cheese and regular pasta. Didn't do the math.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Heat milk and flour, whisking regularly, over medium heat until thickened. Be careful here, I always lose track and it gets all gummy, then I end up stirring little gummy bits into the sauce. (You can't see the difference once you add the cheese).

Remove from heat, add tuna, cheese, spices, and pasta.

Spray a small (1 qt) baking dish with cooking spray. Add casserole. Bake 20 min at 400F. Let cool 10 min before serving.

No comments: