Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kitchen Sink Pasta


as in...everything but...all the leftovers got tossed into this dish.

To anyone (all three of you) wondering "what about Thanksgiving?" There was no Thanksgiving post because (1) Turkey day is my hubby's cooking day. All I did was peel potatoes. and (2) we had guests in town all weekend.

Pasta dish
1 lb rotelle: 0.75
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes: 0.60
1 head broccoli: 1.00
1 onion: 0.30
1 bell pepper: 0.50
garlic powder and italian seasoning to taste: 0.20
1 T canola oil: 0.05
1/2 oz grated parmesan: 0.22

Total: $3.62 for about 6-8 servings, or $0.60 per serving.

I'd like to say the picture is washed out because of the camera. But no, I overcooked the broccoli on purpose to make it easier for my toddler to eat it. Eventually I can stop doing that.

Cook pasta al dente. Drain.

Saute onions in oil for about 5 min, covered, on medium heat to soften. Add peppers. Cover and cook 5 more min. Add broccoli florets and stems and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook 5 more min.

Add can of tomatoes and spices. Stir and cook 5 more min (see a trend here?) Add drained pasta and warm through, about 5 min.

Top with cheese.

No comments: