Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Persimmon bread


I don't remember the source of this recipe. I have it written on a 3x5 card. So I probably got a recipe from the CSA or the internet and adjusted it. Last year we didn't get too many persimmons, but we got a bunch this year.

I basically waited until each persimmon was nice and soft. Then I cut the top off and scooped out the flesh and stuck it in a freezer bag. A couple of months later, I had 2 cups. Enough for two loaves of persimmon bread. We used a couple of persimmons for smoothies, lost one to mold.

Boy this stuff was so good that I put the second loaf in the freezer instead of giving it away. I'm going to have to estimate the cost of persimmons, 'cuz I have no idea what they would cost.

Persimmon Bread (2 loaves)
2 cups persimmon puree: $3.00
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. sugar: 0.09
1/2 c. canola oil: 0.26
4 eggs: 0.50
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon: 0.05
1/2 Tbsp allspice: 0.08
1/2 tsp cloves: 0.02
1/2 tsp nutmeg: 0.02
1.5 c. white flour: 0.23
1.5 c. wheat flour: 0.33
2 tsp salt: 0.01
1/2 c. raisins: 0.22
1/2 c. chopped walnuts: 0.56
Total: $5.37 for 2 loaves of about 13 slices each. Or about $0.21 per slice.

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 pans.

In small bowl stir together persimmon pulp and baking soda. Let sit 5 min. It will set up.

In larg bowl, mix sugar, oil, eggs, salt and spices. Blend until smooth. Mix in pulp and flours alternately.

Fold in nuts and raisins. Pour into pans. Bake 1 hour.

No comments: